The School Psychologist, through the School Psychology Service – Department of Education, provides specialist consultation, intervention and assessment services for schools. This service helps schools to meet the academic, behavioural, social and emotional needs of students.
Our school psychologist is Nici van Eck-Viljoen. She is an integral part of the Student Services Team and works closely with the school administration, teachers and parents to support the school to make improvements that will develop the academic and behavioural needs of students.
Under the direction of the Associate Principal – Student Services and following a school based referral process, parents of referred students will be contacted to participate in a case conference at which time they may provide consent for Nici to engage with and provide support for their child.
Nici may provide support in the follow ways: –
- Direct and indirect support for teachers – in and out of the classroom setting
- Provide Professional learning to develop whole school practices
- Hold case conferences with teachers and parents
- Conduct assessment of learning or behaviour, or assessment of a student’s coping skills
- Support schools in making appropriate curriculum adjustments for students in order to enhance their learning outcomes.
- Provide direct support for students experiencing mental health and wellbeing difficulties.
- Assist schools with the development of positive mental health and wellbeing programs.